UPDATE: we have already received so many wonderful donations for this school! Thank you to all who have given supplies and shelf-stable snacks so far. The deadline to donate to this school is Sunday, 7/31. You will still find the donation bin in the narthex, or you can bring donations to the Church Office. Thank you!
The Committee on Native American Ministries (CONAM) of the California-Pacific Conference is collecting school supplies for Sherman Indian High School in Riverside, California. Sherman Indian High School was established in Perris, CA in 1892 as a US Boarding School. Now in Riverside, CA, Sherman IHS is one of four residential schools for Native American students still operated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).
The school has a limited budget, and the students most often come from great distance, making it difficult to arrive with much more than basic clothing. The school staff has reached out and let CONAM know of the usual needs for students coming on campus in August, 2022. In 2021, over 21 California-Pacific Conference churches provided such school supplies.
The following items are being collected:
- School Supplies, such as:
- College-ruled notebook paper
- College-ruled composition books/notebooks
- #2 pencils
- colored pencils
- 3-ring binders/notebooks
- other school/art supplies are welcome- must be new
- Student Personal Supplies, such as
- large beach towels
- XL twin comforters
- personal hygiene items also welcome-must be new
- Many students find the BIA’s federal food program limiting, especially those participating in sports and other extra-curricular activities. Many have provided shelf stable snacks like cheese/crackers, peanut butter/crackers, peanut butter, ramen, etc.
- Teacher Requests
- for small denomination gift cards to places like McDonalds, Target, Walmart, Domino’s, Little Caesars, Chic-Fil-A, etc. Preferred amounts are $5 or $10 and these cards are provided as incentive cards.
Any donations you would like to give in support of Sherman IHS can be brought to the Narthex, where you will find a basket labeled appropriately. Items can also be brought to Molly in the Church Office anytime from M-TH 9-3. We will be taking these donations through the month of July, so look for the donation basket in the Narthex in the next few weeks.